28 February, 2013

Star Wars by Zen Studio

Zen pinballs have expanded their pinball collection adding three new tables based on a Star Wars theme. They are Boba Fett



Clone Wars




and Empire strikes back




The tables are very nice graphically and have plenty of gadgets. I have only purchased and played the third one. If you are like me and do not care much about gadgets but rather look for an interesting gameplay you will not be very happy with the new pinballs. One thing that was really annoying were the constantly flashing lights: they distract you and you cannot concentrate on the ball. Speaking of the ball I must admit that, given the colour theme of Empire strikes back, it was clearly visible. However, judging from the screenshots, I am afraid that for the other two tables we will be in a near-Farsight situation. I cross my fingers and hope that this will not become a trend.



On the last count Zen studios are up to 18 different tables for iDevices. Only Farsight is doing better. Although I do not like their games a lot (I gave a positive review only to Tesla) I must acknowledge the fact that they are regularly providing new pinball games for iOS. When are they going to release Plants vs. Zombies? That's the one I would like to play, gadgets or no gadgets. 


Addendum. Zen Studios has released the Star Wars tables for Mac, as well. I haven't tried them but the experience should not be too different from the one on the iPad.

2 comments:

  1. Would you recommend any of these tables to one who is not bothered by 'unreal' pinball elements (tiny people moving around on a pinball table) or flashing lights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marco,

    As I was saying, I only played the Empire Strikes Back, but all three of Star Wars pinballs should be entertaining to people who, unlike myself, are not put off by non-standard pinball elements.
    I also should point out that I find eminently laudable the effort of Zen Studios, who are producing table after table of original pinballs.

    ReplyDelete